CHECK_NRPE: Error...

Lien, Mitch mitch.lien at medtronic.com
Tue Apr 5 23:03:37 CEST 2005

Hi Lei.

I found the "--disable-ssl" by grepping the source code when I ran into the problem. Also, others had seen the issue (web search).

I have seen the "CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon. Check the remote server logs for error messages" message. I knew my checking syntax was good, but I still received the error message.

The final solution was to run nrpe (on the client) as a daemon and keep it out of inetd. So, I have setup a /etc/rc2.d script to run it (shown below).

root at server_stg1># more S97nagios
#!/bin/sh
# This simple script is used to startup the nrpe daemon during a system reboot.
NRPE_BIN_PATH=/opt/nrpe/bin
NRPE_ETC_PATH=/opt/nrpe/etc

$NRPE_BIN_PATH/nrpe -c $NRPE_ETC_PATH/nrpe.cfg -d

I hope this assists you.

Thanks.

Mitch