SV: Disable check-host-alive for certain hosts

Bergström Sebastian Sebastian.Bergstroem at kunskapsskolan.se
Tue Apr 5 17:36:40 CEST 2005

I have the check_command defined to check_ssh. As I understand, normal behaviour for Nagios is that if a Service does not respond - it tries to Ping it instead. When the host does not reply on SSH calls, Nagios tries to ping the host instead which results in a host down alert.

How do I change this behaviour?

Below are the service settings for my SSH checks.

Any input is deeply appreciated.

Best regards,
Sebastian Bergstroem

----

checkcommands.cfg

define command{
       command_name    check_ssh
       command_line    $USER1$/check_ssh $HOSTADDRESS$
       }
----

services.cfg

define service{
        name                            generic-service ; The 'name' of this se$
        active_checks_enabled           1       ; Active service checks are ena$
        passive_checks_enabled          1       ; Passive service checks are en$
        parallelize_check               1       ; Active service checks should $
        obsess_over_service             1       ; We should obsess over this se$
        check_freshness                 0       ; Default is to NOT check servi$
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Service notifications are ena$
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Service event handler is enab$
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status information acr$
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status information$
        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION$
        }

# NSClient service definition template
define service{
        name                            nsclient-service
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           10
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  Operation
        notification_interval           30
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        register                        0      ; DO NOT REGISTER, TEMPLATE!
        }

define service{
        use                             nsclient-service
        host_name                       fw01,fw02,fw03
        service_description             SSH
        check_command                   check_ssh
        }
----