Distributed Monitoring - Question about recursive topology

Artur D'Assumpção artur.dassumpcao at di.com.pt
Tue Apr 5 13:49:08 CEST 2005

Artur D'Assumpção wrote: Hi,

I'm trying to build a recursive distributed monitoring topoligy system.
The recursive design is imperative because i'm dealing with different
administrations across the WAN where the monitoring system will be in
production. I'll try to make a sketch to make it more clear:

- root A (this will receive and web publish all the incoming passive
submits. NSCA)
-- root B (this will receive, web publish his results and re-submit them
no root A. NSCA / OSCP?)
--- clientB:x (this is a standar client submiting to root B, OSCP with
send_nsca)
-- root C (analogous to root B)
--- client C:x (analogous to client B:x)

My question concerning this is about if this is doable. More precisely,
is it possible to have have a passive service check with NSCA listening
incoming submits and at the same time obssessing over this service with
the OSCP command in order to re-submit these to its direct parent? This
will also need to be acomplished without loosing the datastore feature
so a root parent with web feature enabled is able to pulish its
child(clients) submits in the nagios web interface.

I'll be thankfull with a help in this subject.

Thank you,

Artur D'Assumpção