Memory leak

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Sun Apr 3 23:58:03 CEST 2005

Hello.

At the moment, I'm still playing with Nagios 2.0b2 while working on
migrating my monitoring stuff from a really old server to a moderately
old one :-)

One thing I notice:
Whenever Nagios is running, the system seems to leak memory. No nagios
-> no problem. Nagios running -> Memory use rises and rises and rises...
  until I (or the kernel oom killer) kill Nagios. Then it stays on the
(too high) level.

In the mailing list, I found this reported as a known bug concerning
embedded perl, and in December Andreas wrote that one ugly leak was
fixed...should be in b2, shouldn't it?

Now, I'm wondering if this is a new bug, or a known issue - I couldn't
find anything in the documentation or release notes... on the other
hand, this should be obvious to others.

My configuration: Linux Kernel  2.6.8-24.13-default (SuSE 9.2), nagios
2.0b2 just as downloaded, compiled without (to my knowledge...) perl
support.

Everything else works as expected.

Unfortunately, I can't determine how the memory gets "eaten" - ps
doesn't tell me about any processes with huge RSSes. In fact, I can't be
sure that Nagios itself leaks that memory, but it happens if and only
when Nagios is running.

I tried a configuration with 22 Hosts/22 Services, where the host checks
  use check_icmp and the services are mostly check_dummy and three
check_icmps. Check interval is 1 Minute during testing, 20 checks run in
parallel, and ~200MB "disappear" in about 2 hours (without any
notifications sent).

Any hints, clues, slutions, me toos?

Arno

IT-Service Lehmann                    al at its-lehmann.de