some questions

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Sun Apr 3 15:03:32 CEST 2005

Hello.

Bimal Pandit wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> another question
>
> 1) I am not able to see small/beautiful icons to see different
> machines/devices etc e.g. a windows machine, a linux box, a router, a
> printer etc., where shall i configure these??

You configure this in hostextinfo sections. See in
docs/xodtemplate.html#hostextinfo in nagios' documentation.

> 2) I want to check wether DHCP services is running on my dhcp server or
> not?? i tried to check manually as
>
>    [bimal at bimal bimal]# cd /usr/local/nagios/libexec
>    [bimal at bimal bimal]# ./check_dhcp -v -s 10.10.2.3 -i eth0
>
> but it seems that it is trying to assign an IP address to my machine
> which already has static IP(10.10.1.1)!!

Well, that's how things are.

You can't check for the dhcp server without requesting an IP.
In the servers log files, you should see that the IP is not ACKed,
though, so the dhcp server knows that it's not in use.

> i.e. i am concerned about the services running on the machines wether it
> is available or not??

Usually you only know if it's running ok if it does its task - asigning
IP numbers in this case. No workaround possible.

> could anyone point me in the right direction about my issues, i will
> be thankfull for any hints.

*point*

:-)

Arno