NC_Net EVENTLOG quirk

Anthony Montibello amontibello at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 08:54:17 CEST 2005

Hi,

I started looking into this when I received your email on this issue last week,
I have been able to simulate the same problem however  it still needs
more intensive diagnostics before a patch can be put into NC_Net.

You can check 16711696 instead of 16 until A proper patch for the
problem has been found. this is a 16711680 offset from the number that
you are looking for.

Quote form Paul>>"
I have noticed that the checks that aren't working correctly either have
spaces in the source name or under 3 digit ID's.  Is this just
coincidence?? "

This is coincidence, There are very few Event Sources that have space
in the source name.  Your above example With Norton Antivirus was able
to recognize all events from Norton Antivirus but the Event ID offset
was the issue.

NOTE: Ignore Whitespace for Regular Expressions. This is only for the
message filter of the event Log check (parameters between event ID and
Source ID)
Whitespace is ignored during the regular expression so to have
whitespace as part of your expression it needs to be escaped thus:
For all entries in the last hour that contain "SCSI INTERFACE ERROR"
or "CHECK CONDITION" use something like;
"any,any,60,0,2,SCSI\ INTERFACE\ ERROR,CHECK\ CONDITION,0"

Technical Detail of problem with Norton Antivirus:
Doing an event log check for Norton Antivirus the EventLog check is
returning the wrong result.  I still need more diagnostics but my
observation are:
NC_Net uses type int to check the Event_ID.  The Event ID is also type
int.  on most cases the event ID works fine.  When checking Norton
Antivirus somehow the  EventID is offset by 16711680 or in hex
00FF0000h I am not sure what is causing this mismatch to occur, since
looking through the code all the types should be int32 are int32. I am
suspecting that their may be a bug somewhere in the manner that Dot
net handles either the Event entry Objects or maybe I am overlooking
something?

When I have a proper solution to this issue it will be documented in
the version section of the read me.

Hope this helps,
Tony