where did my perfdata file go?

frank ratty at they.org
Fri Apr 1 03:27:20 CEST 2005

Running 2.0b2 and loving it. But when I looked at my service_perfdata_file
today it was less than complete.

Relevent configs (mostly defaults):

service_perfdata_command=process-service-perfdata
service_perfdata_file=/tmp/service-perfdata
service_perfdata_file_template=[SERVICEPERFDATA]\t$TIMET$\t$HOSTNAME$\t$SERVICEDESC$\t$SERVICEEXECUTIONTIME$\t$SERVICELATENCY$\t$SERVICEOUTPUT$\t$SERVICEPERFDATA$
service_perfdata_file_mode=a
service_perfdata_file_processing_interval=0
service_perfdata_file_processing_command=process-service-perfdata-file

Instead of actually using a perf proc command from within Nagios, I simply
run a 'tail -f' on the output file and parse it myself. I assume that
"file_processing_interval=0" means Nagios will just leave my file alone...

With the file_mode set to "a" I expected that by now I'd find a huge file
filled with our perf data beginning on the day I started Nagios, but
instead the file starts this morning around 11am. I know for a fact that
data has been flowing into the file all along (a few weeks) because my
RRDs have been getting properly populated. I was hoping to be able to
recreate my RRDs with new RRA sets in them using the perf data but since
it's gone I can't.

Any clue what happened? Did Nagios somehow rotate/truncate my file without
my knowledge or permission? Is there a facility in Nagios to rotate this
along with the main Nagios log file?

TIA
-Frank