Nagios web interface question

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Sep 30 19:26:28 CEST 2004

Minkov, Ross wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here is my first newbie nagios question...
>
> I just installed nagios on Fedora Core 2 using an rpm. I followed the
> docs and configured some servers/services to monitor and started the
> nagios service. It started up just fine. I then started apache and
> started reading how to configure the nagios web interface. The
> instructions I found were a little too specific to the install from
> source code approach (assuming that you installed nagios in /usr/local),
> but after looking in my httpd.conf file I noticed that there was a line
> added at the very end:
>
> #Include /etc/httpd/conf.d/nagios.conf
>
> So instead of editing the httpd.conf file as per the instructions I was
> reading, I just removed the # in front that very last line in my
> httpd.conf file. Then I restarted httpd and here is the warning I got:
>

> # service httpd restart
> Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
> Starting httpd: [Thu Sep 30 10:18:12 2004] [warn] The ScriptAlias
> directive in /etc/httpd/conf.d/nagios.conf at line 1 will probably never
> match because it overlaps an earlier ScriptAlias.
> [Thu Sep 30 10:18:12 2004] [warn] The Alias directive in
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/nagios.conf at line 9 will probably never match
> because it overlaps an earlier Alias.
>                                                            [  OK  ]
>
> I can get to the nagios web interface just fine, but still want to know
> why I'm getting this warning.

Most likely because somewhere in httpd.conf there's a line saying
Include /etc/httpd/conf.d/*.conf.
The server obediently parses the nagios.conf file twice, and the second
time it finds aliases already defined (naturally). If you remove the
include-line you uncommented earlier, I'm sure you'll be rid of the
warning and everything will still work just fine.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer