alerts not reaching me

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Sep 28 20:14:06 CEST 2004

----Original Message----
From: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Payal
Rathod Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 11:07 AM To:
nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net Subject: [Nagios-users] alerts not
reaching me

> Hi,
> I have configured nagios but alerts are not reaching me at all.
> I get the error,
>
> [1096386010] Warning: Attempting to execute the command
> "/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios 1.0 *****\n\nNotification Type:
> PROBLEM\n\nService: PING\nHost: design2\nAddress: x.x.x.x\nState:
> CRITICAL\n\nDate/Time: Tue Sept 28 21:10:10 IST 2004\n\nAdditional
> Info:\n\nPING CRITICAL - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 570.19 ms" |  -s "**
> PROBLEM alert - design2/PING is CRITICAL **" admin at designs.local"
> resulted in a return code of 127.  Make sure the script or binary you
> are trying to execute actually exists...
>
> What must be wrong? /usr/bin/printf does exist and it is chmod to 755
> I also tried removing that and making /usr/bin/printf a symlink from
> /bin/mail but no success.
> A similar error comes for all services.
>
> What is wrong?

In the log entry above, there is no '/bin/mail' after the '|' in
...'Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 570.19 ms" |  -s "**'... Therefor the shell
is looking for a command named '-s' to pipe the printf output to which
of course doesn't exist. Does your command definition include '|
/bin/mail -s "**'...?

--
Marc