Upgraded NetSaint to Nagios 1.1 - trouble in paradise!

Charles V. Boehnlein training24_7 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 17:33:01 CEST 2004

Daaaa... I found the upgrade instructions in the 1.2 tar.

I'll let the group know if I locate my problem or if the upgrade fixes it.

Thanks,
Charles

"Charles V. Boehnlein" <training24_7 at yahoo.com> wrote:
Jan I installed 1.1 because I took the easy way out, it was included with the Mandrake CD set. Now it seems the easy way out isn't so easy. I have noticed that there have been several bug fixes put out for version 1.1 already and I am behind 1 version with 1.2 being out.

Can you direct me to the documentation on upgrading nagios?
If it was in rpm format I think I would just use rpm -u but if I compile it from a tar file I am not sure how to upgrade VS removing 1.1 manually and doing a fresh install.

I have the check-host-alive already defined in my checkcommands.cfg and I have the command in all of my host definitions but it still doesn't work.

The log files don't show any problems but it sure is broke.

Thanks,
Charles

Jan Scholten <Jan.Scholten at iconz.net> wrote:
For the Host try entering check_host_alive and in the checkcommands.cfg
define check_host_alive as:

define command{
command_name check-host-alive
command_line $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 3000.0,80%
-c 5000.0,100% -p 1
}

This is how it works with 1.2 (why did you upgrade to an old version?)

Jan

> I upgraded to Nagios 1.1 and used the convertcfg script to conert my
> original hosts.cfg file.
> Item 1. Now my check_ping isn't working.
> How can I manually confirm the check_ping output?
> Item 2. Status of the hosts stays as unknown
> I tried adding a check_command check_ping and I get a host down when it
> is up and
> an error - check_ping: %s: Warning threshold must be integer or
> percentage.
> I have the check_ping defined as
> check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60% in my services.cfg file, if I try adding
> the same thing in the hosts.cfg file I get errors not allowing it.
> If I remove the check_command from my host file I thought the host was
> suppose to show as up all the time and it doesn't, it still shows as
> unknown status and red as if it is down. I start and stop nagios between
> changes and even rebooted linux with no luck.
> Any ideas?
>

> The Best Computer Upgrades - Check it out!

Jan Scholten
Research and Development Intern
Iconz.co.nz

The Best Computer Upgrades - Check it out!

http://mail.yahoo.com