AW: Cascading Services/Service hierarchy

Mohr James james.mohr at elaxy.com
Mon Sep 27 11:22:31 CEST 2004

I'm actually thinking of the reverse. Yes, it is possible that the HTTP service is running but the site is down. It could be any number of situations, such as no access to a database. So from the SLA perspective, the service we are providing (the web site) is down.

However, if the HTTP service is down, the site is also not accessible (it cannot be!) and again from the SLA perspective, the service we are providing (the web site) is down. If the machine crashes. The machine service is down, thus the HTTP service is down, thus the Web site service is down. With services in HP VantagePoint Operations (VPO), the machine goes down and the service is red, this propogates to the HTTP service and then to the site service. I see that the site service is down and then drill down to see the root cause (the machine crash).

With Nagios it seems like this kind of propogation is not possible. Although I obvuously need something that monitors to the site services (which we already have), the fact that the machine goes down does not change the status of the site service. If this machine also had FTP, and mail, these services would still be green as well.  On the other hand, the machine going down would turn the VPO services red as well (because they are also not accesible).

I am not saying the the way VPO does it is the "right way". I am just trying to compare how Nagios does it compared to VPO.

James Mohr