Nagios 2.0 performance

Einar Indridason einari at f-prot.com
Thu Sep 23 13:24:42 CEST 2004

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 09:37:32AM -0500, Marc Powell wrote:

> I would hardly use the word obviously. What evidence do you have to back
> this assertion? What do you mean by 'parsing'? The status file on my
> system is just over 900k and clearly delimited, hardly a challenging
> file to 'parse'. If you think that nagios is parsing nagios.log each
> time you should do some more research. I'm not a coder but I do have
> years of experience with Nagios and tend to lean toward the list
> traversals (which is really the parsing) as a big performance hit as has
> been discussed here recently and in the past. There have been very
> significant performance improvements in that regard in 2.0.

Actually, what we should do here, is to profile the cgi's, and *see*
where the hotspot is.

If the compiler used is gcc, we have to add a switch, "-gp" (generate
profile) for the programs in question.  Run the program(s) once, and then
run "gprof program", to see where most time was spent.

Measure, not speculate.

> > Status should be stored within nagios, and the cgi's should query
> > nagios (not the log file) for status.
>
> And how would you recommend this inter-process communication happen? I'm
> sure any reasonable suggestion would be duly considered. You might also
> want to present evidence to back your conclusion that this really is the
> issue and why your solution would be better.

One possible solution would be to use shared memory, where one process
(the nagios one, or someone else maybe) holds the needed information, so
the CGI's just have to read from the shared memory.

einari at f-prot.com