Notification escalations

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Wed Sep 22 18:17:52 CEST 2004

> Collins, Steve wrote:
> > I'm putting in a few escalations for services and hosts
> now, and I'm a tad confused over the way the doco explains
> how they work.  My interpretation of the doco has me thinking
> that if an escalation is matched, ONLY the contact groups
> specified in the escalation are notified, and NOT the default
> group PLUS the group(s) nominated in the escalation.  Am I
> reading it right?
> >

> Why not just try it? It's not terribly difficult to set up.

He's probably in the same boat I am - Nagios is in production, can't
miss the alerts, and there's no dev system to play around with.

I think it will use the host/service contact group and/or the hostgroup
contacts prior to the first time an escalation notification matches. For
example, if your normal notification interval is 30 minutes and a host
dies at midnight, your first escalation is at 0000, your second at 0030,
your third at 0100, etc. If your escalation is set to start on the 3rd
notification, the 0000 and 0030 escalations will proceed according to
the host/service and hostgroup escalations, like it is currently.
Starting at 0100, those notification procedures will be dropped in favor
of the escalation procedures.

Assuming I'm correct with the above, the question I have is what happens
after the last escalation scheduled? Say the escalation takes effect
between the 3rd and 10th notification, and there's no other escalation
for this service. What happens at 0500? Who gets notified?

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer
Windchannel Communications
919-538-6326