Hosts without services

Collins, Steve Steve.Collins at industry.gov.au
Mon Sep 20 04:46:42 CEST 2004

I have a few hosts which have no services per se.  Soon, after some firewall changes, I'll be able to ping them.  However, in the meantime, they are causing blocking outages (they host multiple web sites on multiple IPs) which is causing consternation among management.  What I'd like to do is have them seen as up (I know they are, because their hosted sites work).  I've tried setting the Host Check Command to check_dummy (which does a check_dummy 0), but it doesn't seem to make a difference in the web interface, thus:

define host {
86:     use    generic-host
87:     host_name    animal
88:     alias    Multi-site server for older sites
89:     address    172.16.x.x
90:     parents    MCT_Internet_Zone
91:     check_command    check_dummy
92:     max_check_attempts    3
93:     notification_interval    60
94:     notification_period    24x7
95:     notification_options    d,u,r
96: }

Any guidance appreciated.  TIA.

Steve
--
Stephen Collins
Web Development Section

E steve.collins at industry.gov.au
P +61 2 62137193
C +61 410 680722
F +61 2 62136227

Decode geekcode at http://www.joereiss.net/geek/ungeek.html

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments to it, is
intended for the use of the addressee and is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, read, forward, copy or retain any of the information. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please delete it and notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone.
The Commonwealth does not warrant that any attachments are free from viruses or any other defects. You assume all liability for any loss, damage or other consequences which may arise from opening or using the attachments.