Configuring Nagios

Gerd Müller gmueller at netways.de
Fri Sep 17 17:46:47 CEST 2004

Am Fr, den 17.09.2004 schrieb Mohr James um 15:38:
> Hi All!
>
> Is there a GUI to configure Nagios? Is there any auto discovery?  Thanks in advance.

My preferred way to configure nagios is to use something like vi. I don't like the guis. It takes much longer to configure nagios via web interface than via a simple editor. I also don't like any auto discovery. Such programs normaly create massiv config files without any logical structure inside and without any knowledge of wise critical/warning values. This will cause you massiv work afterwards if you want to change details of your config and prevent useless alert-mailstorms. So I would suggest first plan and oriented your configuration similar to your logical setup and then use excessive templates and groups. That will save you much more time than using guis and autodetection.

--
Gerd Mueller <gmueller at netways.de>