SNMP Traps

fmml at cedval.org fmml at cedval.org
Fri Sep 17 03:58:40 CEST 2004

I just found a new way to achieve this, maybe someone did before but in
any case this is far better than what the nagios doc is suggesting.

Basically I use 2 additionals opensource products and a small python script:

SEC, superb, simple event corrolator from Risto Vaarandi and
the SNMP trap translator from Alex Burger.

I have configured snmptrapd to default all traps to the trap translator to
convert and parse the mib from my devices and to send the results to the
syslog to get picked up by sec. It then call my python script.

The good thing is that the severity is sent along and then my script uses
that to make the event either an informational,  warning or critical event
in Nagios. I don't have to decide about the sevirity, It uses the MIB
definition for that.

The advantage of this approach is that I don't have to put the trap
description neither to snmptrap.conf and to an event handler script. I
don't have to know wich trap I might be facing.

When I want to monitor a new device with snmptrap, I use trap translator
convertmib tool to convert the mib files, create the host and 1 snmptrap
service in Nagios, et voila.

It is a bit complicated to get the whole thing working and forgive me if I
didn't put the whole recipe here, if you looking for a mean to work on a
few traps than you should read and stick to Nagios doc.

But if you want a polyvalent solution you might want to take a look at the
tools mentionned above...

Regards,

Francois