Problem with nagios logs

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Sep 16 20:40:47 CEST 2004

YAVUZ TEMIZKAN wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Currently i have an intention to parse nagios log files according to hosts and/or time.
> But my problem is that nagios logs the time according to unix time i mean like this:
> [1095351602] Auto-save of retention data completed successfully.

Are you going to parse them by hand or can you have a script/program do
it for you? If it's the script version, then just let it translate it as
it goes along.

> İ have to change these logs to normal time ie
> 16-09-2004 19:28:59 EEST 2004

What is considered 'normal time' differs greatly from country to
country. The only thing everybody agrees to being 'normal' time is
computer-parsed log-files, which log in unix timestamps.

> However i have nearly 6 months logs and this will be too much time consuming even if done with a script.
>(i have a script to translate this time written in perl)

Computers don't complain about overtime. That's the main thing that
makes them good.

> What i want to find out is  how can we change the logging format in nagios ( cant find anything useful
> in nagios.log)

For the logs you can't, and even if you did it wouldn't convert the logs
you already have.

Try something like this to convert the data in all your logs to the
format you specified. You might want to make backups before you try it
though. It's untested.
for logfile in *; do
	cat logfile | while read line do;
		unixtime=`echo $line | sed 's#^\[\([^\]]*\)\].*#\1#'`
		humantime=`echo $unixtime | date --date="1970-01-01 UTC $unixtime
seconds" "+%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S %Z %Y"
		echo $line | sed "s#$unixtime#$humantime#" >> parsed.$logfile
	done
done

You should by no means have any trouble concocting a faster script in a
language of your choice. C is fastest of the manageable ones. I
personally like PHP (yes, even for command-line scripts) for its fast
logical syntax and non-silly hash/array handling.

> Thanks in advance

You're welcome. It's always nice to put some shell-scripts out here in
perl-land. ;)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer