plugins that integrate with rrdtool

Mark Duling Mark.Duling at biola.edu
Thu Sep 16 02:28:45 CEST 2004

atonns at mail.ivillage.com on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 at 7:50 AM -0800
wrote:
>Currently, 95% of the plugins I'm using are custom coded. I've started to
>integrate a few of them with rrdtool to determine problems over a period
>of time (ie: interface error rate over the last X hours). I'd like to
>have them all integrate with rrdtool (similar to cricket) so that I only
>have to read the metric once and be able to use it for a) generating
>alerts b) storing data to graph trends c) alert based on automated trend
>analysis.

Tony,

NRG is an excellent RRDTool frontend SNMP grapher, and perl based.
http://nrg.hep.wisc.edu/  It's a snap to use, way easier than MRTG
although you can't use an RRDTool higher than 1.0.45.  Not sure if it the
bug is NRG or RRDTool.  I have a HOWTO for it if you are interested that I
did for internal documentation that would save you time so email me
offline if you want it.

Also, the author has an alpha of a notifier that will notify you when your
RRD values fall outside a certain range.  Haven't used it though so I
can't vouch for it and you'd have to ask the author about it.

Mark