Problem with Service Wildcards and Hostgroup escalations

Jon Gefaell jgefaell at netblue.com
Tue Sep 14 23:57:30 CEST 2004

Hello all, I posted this yesterday and noticed lots of kind folks
answering lots of questions, but not answering mine. Could someone have
a look and offer a clue? Thanks In Advance, it is much appreciated!

I'm trying to configure escalations by group using the document 'Time
Saving Tricks for Template-Based Object Definitions' But the form I need
isn't described there though it seems valid by implication. In practice
however it isn't. I can't imagine why not. (maybe there is another way
to do what I want?)

What I want to do is;

hostgroup_name   datagroup
service_description   *

This should (???) cause all services on all hosts in the hostgroup named
'datagroup' to use this escalation definition, yes?

Instead I get an error message of the form;

Error: Service escalation for service '*' on host 'email1 email2' is not
defined anywhere!

In this case the hostgroup_name was 'mail' and the members are email1
and email2. They both have about 18 services defined. The form;

hostname   email1
service_description   *

works just fine. I'd hate to have to duplicate and maintain an
escalation definition for each host though!

Again, Thanks In Advance.

-JG