Nagios 2.0 performance

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Sep 9 01:53:37 CEST 2004

Ben wrote:
> I'm in a similar boat. Nagios 2 is a vast improvement over the list
> traversals of 1.x, but it's still pretty bad, even when keeping files on a
> ram disk.
>
>>From my profiling, it appears almost all time is spent reading the status.
> Like you say, it seems like this should be able to be cached. I was hoping
> that's what the database option would do, but it seems nagios doesn't
> exactly use a database to its full potential.... instead, it just mimics
> the same behavior as when using flatfiles.
>
> When I ever get some time (haha), I was planning on looking into the
> codebase more and trying to decide if I should impliment a scheme with
> shared memory (so that would stay persistant between cgi runs), or a more
> intelligent usage of the database.... say, maybe, using materialized
> views. If anybody else has any suggestions on which path to take, I'm all
> ears....

The by far easiest way to fix the logging issues would be to hack up
nagios to only log to stdout, and then store everything in a pretty much
flat SQL database. Then you can rewrite the cgi's in a webfriendly
language with excellent database and hashing support (PHP comes to mind).

Flush the database to disk every other month or so, and just live with
the fact that the yearly report takes an hour or two to create. It's not
like you do it every day anyway.

I've been thinking about doing this myself for some time now, but just
like you, I just can't find the time to do it.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer