Nagios 2.0 performance

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Sep 9 01:46:19 CEST 2004

Ben wrote:
> Chained-hashing is on by default in nagios 2, and it works very well from
> what I can tell. By *far* the biggest remaining time suck (for me, at
> least) is in simply loading the data file off my ramdisk.

That just can't be true. Loading a file from ramdisk is done in...
well.. it's actually already loaded when the program asks for it, so the
kernel only has to feed it whatever it asks for. As long as you stay off
the swap, it's done in notime.

What takes the time is a linked list lookup, just as people have already
stated. The status cgi's does a lookup for each of logentry it finds by
simply comparing each and every one of the entries to its corresponding
object. It's not exactly ultrafast. It's not even semifast or normally
fast. It's just acceptable if you have < 400 hosts.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer