Can I setup Nagios web interface and Nagios core programs on different servers?

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Wed Sep 8 19:14:37 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 23:10, Kelvin Wu wrote:
> hello,
>
> my nagios has 5000+ services running and the web interface is very
> slow, takes long time to load a page, i am thinking of a solution to
> setup the web interface on another server, how can i do that? use
> mysql, save status data into mysql database and the web interface
> connects to mysql remotely?

If you use the interactive commands on the interface (scheduling
downtimes, enabling/disabling notices, acknowledgments, etc), then you
really need to keep the web interface and the nagios server on the same
machine.  Otherwise those commands won't work.

There are a couple options to do it otherwise, without having to resort
to mysql.  The CGIs check the nagios configs (the contents of
/etc/nagios/) as well as the nagios status.log, and maybe some other
files in /var/log/nagios.   So, what you'd have to do is keep a copy of
the configs on the web interface box, and make sure they're kept up to
date.  Then rig something so that the log files are copied over
regularly (every 2 minutes or something).  You wouldn't get
instantaneous updates, but it would spread out the load between the two
machines.