Advice on host notifications

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Sep 8 16:29:36 CEST 2004

----Original Message----
From: Cook, Garry [mailto:GWCOOK at mactec.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 9:23 AM
To: Marc Powell; Andreas Ericsson; nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Nagios-users] Advice on host notifications

> [snip]

> > > No. The check_command is not optional for host objects.
> >
> > Umm. Sorry to inform you but not only is it demonstrably possible,
> > it's documented. I've been running w/o host check_commands for
> > several years now.
>
> Marc,
> Can you point me in the direction of this documentation? I didn't
> know that this feature was available, and am very interested to see
> how it works. Thanks.

I'd give you the exact URL but nagios.org appears to be down at the
moment.

Object configuration file options | Template-based Method | Host
Definitions | check_command description --

check_command: This variable is used to specify the short name of the
command that should be used to check if the host is up or down.
Typically, this command would try and ping the host to see if it is
"alive". The command must return a status of OK (0) or Nagios will
assume the host is down. ****If you leave this argument blank, the host
will not be checked - Nagios will always assume the host is up.**** This
is useful if you are monitoring printers or other devices that are
frequently turned off. The maximum amount of time that the notification
command can run is controlled by the host_check_timeout option.

**** emphasis mine ****

--
Marc