Details of Lab Monitor system & Nagios

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Wed Sep 8 06:45:02 CEST 2004

Hey all,

Since I've received interest in how I did this, here are the details:

1. Compile NSCA under cygwin (lazy - or compile code to win32 C compiler)
so you have a NSCA Windows executable (this was done about 1.5 yrs ago
before I knew about http://support.tsmgsoftware.com/ which seems to be down
atm)
2. Deploy the executable to your lab hosts (depending on your lab imaging
management tool at QUT there are Rembo, Ghost and Deepfreeze) via Rembo or
an Active Directory Global Group Policy, we did both.
3. Configure the services you want your lab hosts to send information about
(on startup: "Lab PC available", on logon "Lab PC unavailable", "user
<blah> logged on", on reboot "Lab PC unavailable" (not available until back
to C-A-D screen), "user <blah> logged off"). I also crafted some other
checks for use with Rembo, so we can tell if that computer re-imaged
successfully last boot, got a couple of other services defined, full
details upon request.
4. Use a cluster check on the "Lab PC available" service to determine how
many lab hosts are in state OK (available) and how many are in state
CRITICAL (un-available)
5. Build a cgi that runs the cluster check and builds a pretty HTML graph
6. Get told to use the corporate web template, insert said graph into
template. (Template is all jsp thank god I know jsp - build jsp bean for
retrieving graph via jsp)
7. Play with JDK 1.4 and write regex to parse list of Faculties on a
campus, to return the URL of the 'next' page in the meta-refresh tag. (2nd
new separate jsp bean.)
8. Get told to display booking information in said graph, retrieve booking
information from central booking system, build functionality into cgi to
parse for current and upcoming bookings. (SSH public/private key used for
transferring booking extract for the rest of the semester, cron job for
extracting booking information for tomorrow.)
9. Publish web site on central web server, fight with central web server admin.
10 Deploy to ~1500 lab hosts, add 5000 services to Nagios, cause Nagios web
server performance to degrade :P
11 (bleck) Write up documentation

Liaise with all other Faculties who have labs they want on the system, run
the whole she-bang since I'm the manager and all staff on the project :P

Screenshot of the finished product available on request (didn't want to
spam the list with a screenshot), more details about specifics available on
request...

I'll happily answer any questions you may have about it, criticisms will be
| echo /dev/null :D

=================================
Greg Vickers
Computer Systems Officer