check_ntp

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Sep 7 10:31:35 CEST 2004

Leif Nixon wrote:
> "C. Bensend" <benny at bennyvision.com> writes:
>

>>>The plugin considers an zero offset to be erroneous. I don't know why.
>>
>>Check the archives; there was a lively discussion about exactly this a
>>month or two ago.
>

> I know. We never did get that detail sorted.

check_ntp thinks an offset of 0 is erroneous because many ntp servers by
default fetches time from the local system if it can't connect to the
preferred NTP server. A 'true' offset of 0 (where time is actually
compared to that of its higher stratum server) is very, very rare. It is
more likely the result of imprecise system calls than the real status.

Nevertheless, it does happen (for one reason or another), so it would be
nice to add an argument to skip it complaining about this. I'll get
going on that anyday now. ;-)

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer