Nagios Interface

Richard Luys richard.luys at vanderlet.nl
Tue Sep 7 10:25:21 CEST 2004

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 08:43:48 +0100, Ben Clewett <Ben at clewett.org.uk> wrote:

> Anton,
>
> You may wish to look at PerfParse:
>
> http://perfparse.sourceforge.net
>
> This has some options to get this data.  Not yet specific to customers,
> but this is in the pipe-line for future version.  You can certainly give
> customers a read-only view of your data if this is of any use...
>
> Regards, Ben.
>
> Anton Krall wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys.
>>  I was wondering, nagios interface is great for sysadmins because of
>> all the
>> options but I was wondering if there is any interface project for nagios
>> that shows a more limited interface that you can show to your
>> customers, for
>> example, if you wanted a customer to be able to view their server
>> status but
>> without all the admin links? of course this interface would have to use
>> also
>> the host contacts so only appropriate hosts are shown and
>> username/password
>> is also asked for auth.
>>  Any ideas?
>>  Anton Krall

For your information, we followed a different approach:

We did not want to disable the cmd.cgi (which allows you to issue several
commands like disabling notifications, schedule downtime, etc) because
it's very usefull for us admins. But, we do not want customers to issue
those commands.

We did the following to circumvent this 'problem':
On a second server (that is reachable for our customers) we created some
scripts that use 'wget' to retrieve 'status overview' and detailed
overviews of the different groups. We use normal Apache authentication
with identical id/passwords as on the Nagios-host. Depending on this
authentication, wget will authenticate with the Nagios-host to retrieve
only the data for this specific customer.

It works for us, maybe this approach works for others too. If somebody
likes to see more details about this setup, I will be happy to post the
scripts (documentation is not yet complete, but I'm working on it; scripts
are very easy to understand, though).

Richard