Notifications

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Sep 7 03:50:28 CEST 2004

Anton Krall wrote:
> I want a customer to be able to view their server status on nagios webpage
> so I made a new contact and also his contactgroup then added his group to
> hostgroups.cfg and seem he can now see his servers on the webpage.. Now, for
> notifications, where do I needto add his contactgroup in order for him to
> get host notifications and service notifications? For services I would
> imagine adding him to contact_groups on every service or template on
> services.cfg right?

That is correct.

And what about host notifications?

For Nagios 1.x he gets notified if he's in a contactgroup connected to
any hostgroup the host is a member of.
For Nagios 2.x he gets notified if he's in a contactgroup connected to
the particular host object itself. Hostgroups are for prettiness in
Nagios 2.x, and doesn't fill any logical function what so ever.

> What if I had a user that I dont want him to be able to see the server
> status via web but I would like him to get notifications on a service and
> just that service for a host?

Don't add that particular user to the htpasswd file (or database or
whatever).

> What sometimes puzzles me is that, for example, there is a reference to
> notification_enable on many files like hosts.cfg or services.cfg etc so..
> Which one is actually used or redundant?

All of them are checked. If any of them say "don't notify", nagios
doesn't. This is true for timeperiods and notification_options as well.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer