Notifications

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Tue Sep 7 03:44:44 CEST 2004

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 08:00:46PM -0500, Anton Krall wrote:
> Ive noticed there are many places to add notifications and ways to do
> it but I want to check with you if what Im doing is the right way.
>
> I want a customer to be able to view their server status on nagios
> webpage so I made a new contact and also his contactgroup then added
> his group to hostgroups.cfg and seem he can now see his servers on the
> webpage.. Now, for notifications, where do I need to add his
> contactgroup in order for him to get host notifications and service
> notifications?
> For services I would imagine adding him to contact_groups on every
> service or template on services.cfg right? And what about host
> notifications?

That's right.  For the host notifications, since you say you have
a hostgroup for his servers anyway, you can add him or the contact
group to that hostgroup.  For example:

define hostgroup {
  hostgroup_name   whatever
  alias            Whatever
  contact_groups   someguy
  members          someservers
}

> What if I had a user that I dont want him to be able to see the server
> status via web but I would like him to get notifications on a service
> and just that service for a host?

Since authorization to the webserver itself is handled outside of
Nagios, you can just not create a valid login for that user.  The
contact within Nagios will still work as normal, but the user will
be denied access to the CGI's by the web server.

> What sometimes puzzles me is that, for example, there is a reference
> to notification_enable on many files like hosts.cfg or services.cfg
> etc so..  Which one is actually used or redundant?

They're all used, and interact with each other in mysterious ways.
Well, not mysterious - mostly in the ways you would expect, and it's
up to you to decide which ones you want to actually use.

You can enable and disable notifications for each host, and for each
service, as you see fit.  When notifications are enabled and a state
change occurs within the time period defined by the notification_period
for that host/service, AND the state changes to one of the states
specified by the notification_options, then all contacts for that
host/service will be eligible to be notified.  Whether they will or
not depends on the settings for that contact - the period they will
be notified during, and what sort of states they want to receive.

Most of the time, you'll want services and hosts to notify 24x7 on
every state change, and filter notifications for each contact as
needed... but there are always exceptions.  Just pick whatever
makes more sense to you.