Running java plugins in nagios

Thomas Schimpke schimpke at lenze.de
Mon Sep 6 10:38:32 CEST 2004

Hello again,

some more information:

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 09:43, Sand Philipp wrote:
> No idea about the java problem, but about the performance issues...
> I don't think anybody in this list can tell you about how much
> performance a selfwritten javascript on an unknown platform can cost...

it's not javascript. It's Java. The platform if a DL360 with 1 GB Ram
2x2.8 GHz Xeon processor with RedHat 9.

> To the SAP R3 thing...maybe you should take a look at the check_sap_ccms
> Plugin, it's a Plugin which can get much information out of the SAP CCMS
> DB, and it's inoffically provided by SAP...

I'm aware of these plugins (actually i'm using them for some R3
monitoring). There are two issues, I don't like:

- you have to read the whole monitoring tree and do some parsing. The
parsing is no the problem, but since the whole (or at least a large part
of the) monitor tree is transmitted or has to be read (I think, I've
read this in the (german) docs of the plugin), these calls are quite
"expensive" in terms of CPU/network/memory (at least compared to
"normal" plugins). At least, that was the impression I got...

- I'm not sure about this one: I think, these plugins were designed to
use the CCMS of an Web Application Server/Solution manger to do the
monitoring. That means, that you configure all the CCMS on the R3
systems you like to monitor to send their data to the solution manager
and fetch the info you're interested in from there. This method is
somewhat error-prone, since our R3 guys tend to change everything on a 5
minute basis and your monitoring will eventually break down. I favour a
direct approach, meaning: "ask the system" directly, call a BAPI, avoid
the CCMS. That's more work (of course), but at least you are independent
on any changes in the CCMS.

Another point is, that I don't like the strange sap_ccms config file too
much. But that's (of course) my opinion -- I'm not too much involved
into SAP administration; real SAP admins may be happy with the config
file. And it's one more configuration file you have to take care of in
your nagios setup...

Kind regards,

Thomas Schimpke