Running java plugins in nagios

Thomas Schimpke schimpke at lenze.de
Mon Sep 6 09:03:30 CEST 2004

Hello,

is somebody on the list, who has some experience with running java
plugins in nagios ? The technical integration is not the problem, but
I'm having concerns about the java overhead (loading the VM,...). My
fear is, that my monitoring server will simply be overloaded as soon, as
there are some 10 java based checks running.

The background is, that I'm working on a nagios  plugin for monitoring
SAP R3  background processes. SAP's support for Java seems to be quite
good and the connect is quite easy; also it's fairly easy to get the
list of running jobs.

In principal, the job could be done in perl. But since the plugin turns
out to be a little bit complex (you need a database in the
background...), I decided to write some Java code, which (I hope) would
be easier to maintain (over a longer period of time).

Any ideas ?

Kind regards,

Thomas Schimpke