OK guys, bail me out...

Nigel Kendrick nigel.kendrick at petdoctors.co.uk
Fri Sep 3 17:48:19 CEST 2004

Having successfully compiled and installed 1.2 I am following the
well-worn path of trying to get the config files sorted and the app to
start! Oh, I'm running on Whitebox Linux (Red Hat Enterprise 3), by the
way.

Having chased a few self-inflicted naming consistency errors around the
files (causing '/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg -v' to fail with various, ever-changing
errors!!) I felt I had a good grasp of how the whole thing should work,
but I decided to start from scratch, because I'd been tinkering all over
the place, so I re-compiled, copied the sample config files in to place
and set file ownership and access rights. The Web interface runs but
reports that the app isn't (correct - I know this!)

Now...

Q: With the sample config files in place, should Nagios at least pass
the '-v' check even though the hosts, groups and contacts etc. are
bogus!? I ask this because if I run the '-v' check, I get:

Error: Unexpected token or statement in file
'/usr/local/nagios/etc/checkcommands.cfg' on line 49.

This line is the first 'command' line beyond the file comments ie:

command[check_tcp]=$USER1$/check_tcp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p $ARG1$

In other words, I'm b0rked at the first hurdle! I'm reluctant to go any
further customising the files at this time!

YES I have read the documentation - plus a raft of other online stuff -
and I have browsed back through the list archives! One problem seems to
be the different possible structures for the config files and hence why
I decided to start again because taking advice from here..there...and
everywhere led me to a rather unpleasant mix of things!

Over to you!

Thanks in advance

Nigel Kendrick