check_dhcp not binding problem

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Sep 2 16:43:22 CEST 2004

----Original Message----
From: rob5 at goobertek.com [mailto:rob5 at goobertek.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 8:13 AM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] check_dhcp not binding problem

> Howdy Folks
>
> I am getting the following message from check_dhcp:
>
> Error: Could not bind socket to interface eth0. Check your
> privileges...
>

> THe permissions on check_dhcp are set to be owned and part of the
> root group.
>
> Any thoughts?

I don't use the plugin myself but I'm going to bet it needs to run with
root priveleges. Being owned by root is not sufficient as it will be
executed as the nagios user. You'll need to set the sticky bit so that
it maintains root priveleges when being executed by non-root users

chmod u+s check_dhcp

--
Marc