check_procs not detecting process

Phil Costelloe philc at foundation-it.com
Thu Sep 2 10:48:45 CEST 2004

Jason Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 10:46:22AM +0100, Phil Costelloe wrote:
>> Jason Martin wrote:
>> Unless you also rewrite check_procs.c, that won't work as the plugin
>> is expecting the columns that the 'worse' syntax outputs.
> Actually, as long as one fixes both the ps command and the scanf
> string in the configure input it is unnecessary to modify
> check_procs.c. It will Just Work.

Agreed, with the proviso that your ps command provides the column
values that the ps -weo syntax outputs. Otherwise the options to
check_procs, which are expecting those values, won't work as far
as I can see. The answer to the original question was that the string
being searched for was an argument and not a command and hence the -a
and not -C option had to be used, so their function does need to be
preserved.

There was an implication in the flow of the thread (not from you or
anybody else, just in the juxtaposition of posts) that you can feed
check_procs the ps -ef output and that will work - which I don't
really think is the case.

Phil