Nagios database integration

Travis Dangel Travis.Dangel at sdncommunications.com
Wed Sep 1 22:19:44 CEST 2004

Just curious what the plans are to integrate a database system (mysql,
postgres, etc) with Nagios? I've been playing with Nagios 1.2 for a few
weeks now and we are looking at using it primarily as our network health
monitoring and paging system, however in order to that a much more user
friendly administration method must be created. The current method of
editing the .cfg files via a shell is not necessarily the most difficult
method ever but from a day to day standpoint tends to be a lot more work
than should be necessary.

What my plans were (should we decide to use Nagios as our full time
monitoring system) was to create a web based front end that used a mysql
database to store host, service, and contact information and then in
turn use my front end scripts to update the nagios SQL database and also
write/overwrite the actual .cfg files that nagios currently uses. That
way the program actually gets updated and sync'd with the database even
though its still only actually loading its configuration from the files.
This scenario would work fine although I'm not a fan of hacking
something together just to get it to function properly when its possible
to get it functioning the "correct" way if that is in fact coming soon.

Does Nagios 2.0 have any further database support for hosts and services
or is it still completely file based for host and service records? Just
curious as to what my options might be here before we make a decision
and I start rattling out some scripts to handle the system as described
above.  From what I've been reading there isn't much for a plan to
integrate database storage methods into Nagios any time in the very near
future so ... just curious if I'm correct there and that doing this
front end is about my only option right now for a timely solution?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Travis Dangel