Commercial Support Suggestions

Mark Shirley mshirley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 18:21:25 CEST 2004

What i mean by support is this.  We have a current setup already with
a certin amount of hosts and services.  Completely out of the box
stock install with very little customizations.  Our main consern is at
this point I am the only one who knows anything about nagios and one
out of two people that know anything about linux.  If we deploy this
in a production situation there MUST be a support structure to fix
things when they break.  What I mean b y that is configuration file
corruptions, changes in functionality and their impact on nagios,
etc..  What do you do when you see a completely random error or nagios
just stops working?  You goto the forums and the documentation and try
and figure it out.  That's not really an option to the rest of my
team.  They would rather call someone up who we have a support
contract with and get the issue fixed immediatly.  There are other
possibilities like custom plugins and front end customizations but
that is not our priority.  My boss wants a number to someone who knows
how it works and how to fix it 24/7.  That's really what it boils down
to.