cannot compile Plugins 4 NRPE on IBM AIX 5.2

Harper Mann hmann at itgroundwork.com
Wed Sep 1 16:00:48 CEST 2004

I was able to fix this by installing the AIX Linux toolbox.  The plugins
were developed on Linux and prefer that environment:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/README.txt

>From web:
          ftp ftp.software.ibm.com
          Name> ftp
          Password> your e-mail address
          ftp> cd aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/INSTALLP/ppc
          ftp> binary
          ftp> get rpm.rte
          ftp> quit
          installp -qaXgd rpm.rte rpm.rte

This gives you rpm, which is very nice.

>From the web:
     The easiest way to download the packages is to use the scripts
available
     at the ftp site for downloading the installation groups.  Install the
     wget RPM, then use wget to download the ezinstall installation scripts:
          mkdir -p ezinstall/ppc || :
          cd ezinstall/ppc
          ftp ftp.software.ibm.com
          Name> ftp
          Password> your e-mail address
          ftp> cd aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/RPMS/ppc/wget
          ftp> binary
          ftp> get wget-1.9-2.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
          ftp> quit
          rpm -hUv wget-1.9-2.aix5.1.ppc.rpm
          wget -r -nd -g=on
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/ezinstall/ppc
          chmod +x get*.sh
     For each ezinstall bundle you wish to install (base, desktop.base,
etc),
     run get<bundlename>.sh.  It will create a directory named <bundlename>
if
     required and download the required files into the directory.  You can
then
     use "rpm -hUv <bundlename>/*" to install that set of RPMS.

Wget is much easier

11.  If you want to install application development software, install the
     app-dev group:
     $ rpm -Uhv ezinstall/ppc/app-dev/*

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/aix/freeSoftware/aixtoolbox/RPMS/ppc/

has the RPMS for Linux facilities.

I installed bash, make, autoconf, automake, m4, tar, bison, and fileutils,
ran bash, set my path: > export PATH=/opt/freeware/bin:$PATH, and re-ran
./configure and make.  The plugins built okay except for check_swap. I
downloaded nagios-plugins-1.4.0alpha1 which also built including check_swap,
so I run 1.3.1 plugins + the 1.4.0alpha1 check_swap.

Seems to work..

Good luck,

- Harper

Harper Mann