check_by_ssh vs check_snmp: security considerations?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Fri Oct 29 20:27:07 CEST 2004

check_by_ssh of course, isn't vulnerable to replay attacks.  But if we
set up passwordless, passphraseless accounts on all of our systems for
check_by_ssh, that's a sort of problem in itself, since that account
could (normally) run any command it wanted to.

check_snmp is subject to replay attacks, but it's relatively limited in
what it can do.

So I guess my question is: Is there a form of restricted shell that
would work conveniently with check_by_ssh, that would allow only a short
list of sanitized plugins to run?

Thanks!