Cisco interfaces

kevin krcalhoo at mtu.edu
Fri Oct 29 15:25:36 CEST 2004

Robert Nelson wrote:
> I'm sure this has been asked and answered a million times. I've looked =
> through the archives and I've only found some circular answers, feel =
> free to point me to something specific in the archive.
>
> I want to monitor the throughput on a cisco router. I then want to throw =
> the numbers into RRDTool and link the graph into Nagios with nagiostat. =
> I'm doing this right now with check_iftraffic.pl, but it's giving us =
> quite a different answer than MRTG has been - off by one order of =
> magnitude. After nearly 24 hours of RRD and Nagiostat, it's a bit late =
> for me to troubleshoot that, but  so far I believe MRTG has the right =
> answers, so...
>
> Rather than letting check_iftraffic.pl do the math and all that, what's =
> the easiest way to grab the raw inoctects and outoctets in (hopefully) =
> one fell swoop, so that concurrent checks of throughput can be made? I =
> know I can do this with two different check_snmp commands, but then I =
> get a time drift between the two commands. I was looking for some check =
> command someone might have built that can query multiple OIDs and return =
> the values in an easy to understand format, as well as any =
> RRDtool/nagiostat config examples you might have.
>
> We've got 7 interfaces and I'd rather have 7 services than 14 (7 in, 7 =
> out). I either can't find it, or I can't recognize it when it's under my =
> nose. Which I'm sure has nothing to do with beating my head against this =
> problem for 24 hours, nothing at all! :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob Nelson

	One thing you might want to check is what units the graphs are in.  I
know that our Cisco Catalyst 4000 reports snmp traffic values in bytes.
  However, our old mrtg setup was converting things into bits per second
for us.  So when I redid the graphs with rrdtool I had to convert them
into bits per second.
	If you want some ideas for nagios cisco monitoring I have starting a
little web page of what I have done.  It is at
http://elvis.dcs.it.mtu.edu/cgi-bin/nagioscisco.cgi
So far this represents a few revisions of my first major nagios project.
  However, I haven't made it easy to plugin into another environment.
So you will need to know perl if you want to adapt it for you use.  If
you have any questions about it feel free to e-mail me.
Kevin Calhoon