Alerting on 'rate' thresholds

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Thu Oct 28 23:03:10 CEST 2004

Cricket is the ticket.  It has built in threshold alarms.  You can set up
the alarm mechanism to submit a passive check to Nagios.  It'll
automatically clear the alarms as well.

Nagios is a great status monitor, but isn't a very good RRD poller.  If
using Nagios to do RRD polling, you'll find that you'll get irregular RRD
data intervals if you have a large number of down hosts in Nagios.  This is
because the down hosts makes Nagios too busy host-checking and not RRD
collecting.  Cricket is tied to cron, so it'll try to collect at very
regular intervals (which is the basis for good trending).