Parents - Logical or Physical?

Stefan Giesen Stefan.Giesen at firstgate.de
Thu Oct 28 10:04:29 CEST 2004

Am Do, den 28.10.2004 schrieb Jan Scholten um 1:39:
> The Logical something like:
>
> NagiosPC
>      SW1
>      R1
>      Sw1
>      SW2
>
> What is the right method to configure?

We have a similar setup, only with 2 of each kind for high availability.
Since I couldn't find anything really helpful on the net, I simply
"dropped" the first occurence of SW1 in my parents relationship. So if
the Router goes down, you'll have to check the switch first "by hand" to
see if it's working and if the switch goes down, you'll get down alerts
for both router and switch. Since both issues aren't really a big
drawback (and as mentioned above, we're using 2 of each kind, so we only
have to check the switches "by hand" if BOTH routers go down, the same
is true for the second issue), we're happy with this configuration.

If anybody knows a better solution, I would be happy to hear it as well
;-)

Cheers,
Stefan
--
Stefan Giesen, Systemadministration Frankfurt
FIRSTGATE Internet AG, Im MediaPark 5, 50670 Koeln
Internet: www.firstgate.de         eMail: Stefan.Giesen at firstgate.de