check_load question

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Wed Oct 27 23:05:53 CEST 2004

At 05:27 PM 10/26/2004, you wrote:
>check_load is a local system plugin.  It does not query load average or
>anything else over your network.  What you are doing is checking your nagios
>server's load avg 7x.

I see. So when I thought I was checking my remote servers load average, I
was really just checking the local machines load average.

>To add remote monitoring capabilities to local system plugins, wrap the
>plugin in check_by_ssh, nrpe, or nsca.
>The plugin will then execute locally on the remote machine, but the results
>will be sent by network to your nagios server.  Another method is using snmp
>on the target devices.

Searching the archives, I see some tips that may help me out.

>NRPE (pull) and NSCA (push) are both downloadable from the main nagios site.

Maybe I should add these to my systems? Probably would make things better I
am assuming?

>Before asking about automating ssh logins, please read the archives.  That
>one has been answered many many many times.

Will do. One thing I noticed is that if I do run the check_by_ssh command,
my 'nagios' user on the nagios box, that account should exist on the other
clients as well? Just thought i'd ask.
Or it appears, I can use NRPE or NSCA plugins.

Cheers,

Jason