Checking windows version

Julian Hein jhein at netways.de
Wed Oct 27 08:20:38 CEST 2004

Hi,

> I don't have a plugin ready for this, but it can all be
> extracted from SNMP
> information. Anyways, how do you want to analyze installed
> hotfixes from
> nagios? That IMHO makes no sense and there are other tools
> that do that just
> fine, eg. Retina from eEye Security to name a (very good)
> commercial tool.
>
> On Monday 25 October 2004 10:50, Sand Philipp wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I wonder if anyone got a plugin to check information about
> the installed
> > windows version on a target host (Win 2000 Server, Win 2003
> Server, State
> > of Hotfixes etc.) Best practice would be if you could do it
> without any
> > extra client but nsclient installed on the target system...

MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser) could be an option. It downloads a XML File from Microsoft with all data of current hotfixes and patches and then checks the system for missing ones and other possible vulnerabilities. It can be scheduled to run once a day and create a report in XML. A Nagios plugin could parse this report for problems.

I think it will be not easy, but possible. We are doing the same thing for debian, but that is easier to script :-)

Julian Hein

--
Julian Hein                   NETWAYS GmbH
Managing Director             Deutschherrnstr. 47a