Plugin timed out after 10 seconds

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Tue Oct 26 02:43:38 CEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 05:24:23PM -0500, Rudy Montemayor wrote:

> I have been getting a few notification messages of this type and I'm
> sure it's due to our network; however having said that how and where
> do I increase the timeout period to say 20 seconds.
>
> Notification Type: PROBLEM
>
> Service: Check /ORACLE/BP1/ORAARCH
> Host: HCIBP1 BW Prod
> State: CRITICAL
> CHECK_NRPE: Socket timeout after 10 seconds.

This one looks like the plugin itself is enforcing the timeout,
so look for a command-line switch to adjust the timeout.

> Also like this:
>
> Notification Type: PROBLEM
> Host: PRT204-Calgary
> State: DOWN
> Info: CRITICAL - Plugin timed out after 10 seconds

This one looks to me like Nagios is timing it out itself, so for
that one check the main config.

> The next time the service is checked it recovers. Where is this 10
> second limit set at?

Check the values of  service_check_timeout  and  host_check_timeout
in the main configuration file.  Note that host checks, when they
need to be done, kind of slow everything else down so it's better
if they don't take ages and ages to run...

Also, since host checks aren't repeated X number of times before
the host is declared down, you may want to write a wrapper around
it to repeat the test 2 or 3 times if you have hosts that are a
little bit flaky, but you don't care if they stop responding for
a short period of time.