problem with install NRPE rpm on redhat 7.3

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 22 21:46:41 CEST 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 joost at informatiefabriek.nl wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a problem installing NRPE on my Redhat Linux 7.3. system
>
> When I install nagios-nrpe-2.0-1.rh73.dag.i386.rpm:
> rpm -ivh nagios-nrpe-2.0-1.rh73.dag.i386.rpm
> Preparing...                ###########################################
> [100%]<-- it works fine
>
> when I want to upgrade it to 2.0-3:
> rpm -Uvh nagios-nrpe-2.0-3.rh73.dag.i386.rpm
> nagios-plugins is needed by nagios-nrpe-2.0-3.rh73.dag <-- I get an error
>
> when I try to install nagios-plugins:
> rpm -ivh nagios-plugins-nrpe-2.0-3.rh73.dag.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         nagios is needed by nagios-plugins-nrpe-2.0-3.rh73.dag <-- I get
> an error
>
> It seems that I have to install Nagios also on my client, but I don't want
> to this.
>
> I got the rpm's from http://dag.wieers.com/packages/nagios-nrpe/
>
> Anyone have an idea what's going wrong here? Any help would very
> appreciated

Welcome to dependency hell.  To get yourself out, you need to either
manually satisfy all the dependencies, as you attempted above, or install
the rpms with the --nodeps arguments to ignore the dependencies.

Doing the later may have some bad effects but it shouldn't for what you
describe above.

I also use the dag rpms but for ES3 and I know that nagios-plugins does
not depend on nagios in that release.  Could be a overzealous requires
line in the RPM spec file, pull it down and take a look if you are
interested.
Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com