Services available for checking with Nagios

Jo ml at winfix.IT
Thu Oct 21 23:05:41 CEST 2004

Hi Jason,

I also started only last week with Nagios. Been planning to do it for a
lot longer, but I was always but off by the first few lines in the manual.
The rest of the comments are in-line.

Jason Williams wrote:

> My question is specifically related to the check_command portion of
> the service. I tried a few of the examples i found in the configs that
> came with nagios: ping, http for instance.
>
> But what im trying to do is find out how to setup the check_command
> for other services, such as mysql, pqsql etc.

> So my question is, where can I find out how to setup the check_command
> for specific services? Is there a file that has more information for
> each plugin? I haven't been able to find any readme for each plugin so
> I thought i'd start here.

If you found the directory with the plugins, you can execute them at the
command line with the -h parameter, then you can find out how to use them.

> Also, one last thing. I have a couple servers that I wanted to check
> for multiple services. Does that mean if I want to monitor lets say
> apache and mysql on one box, I need to add it twice to the
> services.cfg file, one for each service?

Yes, the services.cfg file gets pretty crowded. Look at the way you can
reuse stuff by making templates.

Jo