check traffic without snmp?

nagios at mm.quex.org nagios at mm.quex.org
Thu Oct 21 06:14:00 CEST 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 09:19:02AM +0800, icedtea wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> icedtea wrote:
>>> is it possible to check current network traffic without using snmp? tnx
>>
>> Possible, yes, but very troublesome. You'd have to login via
>> telnet/ssh and fetch the proper values that way. Not very secure, and
>> definitely custom.
>
> how do i check traffic using ssh?

That's pretty hard to answer given we don't even know what platform
you want to check with.  You're going to have to put in some effort
(a lot of effort, by the sound of things...) of your own to get this
working.

Things you'll need to work out:

- allow the Nagios user to ssh to the remote hosts without any user
  input (i.e. without a password). Have a search on the internet for
  "ssh keys" for info on how to set this up.

- get the traffic usage.  This depends on the platform you're using;
  find some tool that will retrieve the information you need.

- write a plugin.  The plugin needs to output a single line (for
  informational purposes), and return a specific value so Nagios
  knows whether it's good or bad.  You can find more info in the
  Nagios documentation on plugins.  To write the plugin, you'll
  also need to determine what level of traffic is "good" and what
  is "bad", etc.

Have fun.