Confusing Permissions Issue

L. Mark Stone LMStone at rnome.com
Thu Oct 21 04:30:15 CEST 2004

Running Nagios 1.2 installed on SuSE 8.2 from the SuSE rpms.

The file nagios.cmd gets created in /var/spool/nagios, and we changed the
permissions on this directory according to the FAQ. We also tried several
variations, but are still having the same problem (and yes, we made sure to
restart the apache web server after each change.)

The problem is that if we restart the Nagios process from the web interface,
we get no error that we don't have proper permissions, but as soon as we do
this, all of the monitored hosts' service checks start generating 127 errors.

Now, if we just go to the Nagios server's root command prompt and restart
Nagios with an "rcnagios restart" command, Nagios starts up fine.

Is there anything particular to SuSE that requires permissions slightly
different from the FAQ?

FWIW, the default permissions on /var/spool/nagios set by the SuSE rpms did
not allow us to run any CGIs from the web interface. The ownership was
root.root.

Thanks,
Mark

Another Message From...  L. Mark Stone