Problems with check_tcp

Phil Dibowitz phil at usc.edu
Wed Oct 20 21:17:37 CEST 2004

I'm trying to check some spop and simap servers, and so I'm using check_spop
and check_simap which are links to check_tcp.

It was telling me it was getting an invalid response, so I dug through the
code and realized there was a bug that was allowing the connection to proceed
even if SSL negotiation failed. I posted a fix here:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1030062&group_id=29880&atid=397597

Now, however, I get:

[phil at frantic plugins]$ ./check_simap -H msg-mmp2.usc.edu -p 993
16950:error:1406D0CB:SSL routines:GET_SERVER_HELLO:peer error no
cipher:s2_pkt.c:675:

This, makes no sense to me, because:

[phil at metallica phil]$ openssl s_client -connect msg-mmp2.usc.edu:993

gives:
---
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ NAMESPACE UIDPLUS CHILDREN
BINARY LANGUAGE XSENDER X-NETSCAPE XSERVERINFO AUTH=PLAIN] Messaging
Multiplexor (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server 6.1 Patch 0.02 (built Aug 25
2004))

And of course, simap is working. So I believe there's another SSL bug in the
check_tcp code somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

This is nagios plugins 1.3.1 on Solaris 8/9.

Thoughts appreciated.

--
Phil Dibowitz
Systems Architect and Administrator