which client to use..Help!

Olaf Hoyer ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Tue Oct 19 20:38:35 CEST 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Harris, Sam wrote:

> I am trying to get away from NRPE client, and use a client which would
> use secure connection to Microsoft boxes on the other side of the
> firewall in an encrypted manner if possible...or at least initiate the
> updates without Nagios server initiating it.
> Is there a such thing?

Basically you are looking for a solution that the client on the other
side of the firewall is pushing data into the nagios machine?

I can think of two approaches:

- Do a distributed setup of those machines. Place a small nagios machine
inside that firewalled segment, let it make those checks, and then push
it to the big server. Then you could also use SNMP etc, whilst being
e.g. in the management LAN

- put on each Windows box some scripts, that are scheduled any 5 mins or
so, and let them push their data to the nagios box via the standard
distribution mechanism (NSCA)

HTH
Olaf

Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)