Host warning state?

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Tue Oct 19 16:16:59 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 06:51, Ralf Wigand wrote:

> sometimes it would be nice to have hosts not only up or down but also in
> a warning state. for example:
>
> server1 with service_a, service_b and service_c
>
> service_b has a problem and is in an error state. so server1 is still
> ok. there it would be nice to have something like "well, the server is
> ok, but at least one service on it has a problem..." or, in other words:
> a warning state.

What's your goal in doing this?  One thing you can do is add a service_d
and use the check_cluster plugin so that service_d will be warning if
any of the other services aren't ok.

Nagios is designed to be able to try to figure out if its a service or
host problem and notify the proper person.  It can be very powerful when
used that way, and what you suggest goes against that.  I'm having a
hard time figuring out what your intent could be that would make you
want the hosts to have a warning state.